Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

13 October 2012

Leaves From My Sketchbooks. 55. Giant's Causeway, Port Hills, Christchurch



When I lived in Christchurch I loved walking on the Port Hills which, in an odd way, reminded me of Dartmoor where I liked to take holidays before we came to New Zealand in 1960.

It was a fine day when I did this sketch of Witch Hill Dyke, a basalt intrusion that emerges from the volcanic soil of Lyttelton Harbour. That dark patch on the right is where some of the rocks had tumbled in the past; now, 40 to 50 years later, I'm sure there must have been more falls, especially after the earthquakes.

I've never been a rock climber - can't take heights - but I've heard that these bluffs were quite good training challenges for mountaineers

© DON DONOVAN. donovan@ihug.co.nz 
www. don-donovan.blogspot.co.nz
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan