Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

11 August 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Pegasus Press, 14 Oxford Terrace, Christchurch

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.



I've known this beautifully proportioned place for fifty-one years. It was the home of Pegasus Press and was the fiefdom of Albion Wright a rascal who lived and breathed publishing. His office was the two windows on the right of the entrance, a dark, cosy room lit by a table lamp, reeking of cigar smoke and whose coffee table was a pattern of rings left by beer and whisky glasses. 

A printing office was at the back, run by Peter Low, where I used to go to buy printing for my company and take the opportunity to linger with the compositors and machinists - I've always loved printing works and publishers.

This watercolour was done in about 1987. The company was later sold. I don't know what happened to Pegasus or the building.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan